Confession: I've been eating an OBSCENE amount of watermelon. Like... many, many watermelons in one week. It's just so incredibly cool and sweet and delightful in the summer that I can't help myself.
But we recently started a 30 day really-ridiculously-clean eating program where we eat only vegetables, pastured meats, and a small amount of fruit. It's a digestive and whole-body reset, so I also have to be mindful of, you know, crushing an entire watermelon in a day, so as not to overload on fructose. Gahh.
This 30 day reset also encourages working more bone broth, gelatin, collagen, and organ meats into the mix, for digestive healing. (Read more about why, here.)
So after my massive FAIL with Beef & Liver Burgers last night I thought I needed an easy success: gelatin + my favorite fruit!
You can adjust the amount of gelatin in this recipe to make your watermelon mix more like jello, or more like hard gummy candies. This recipe is Paleo, AIP, & Sugarfreed friendly!
about 1/4 medium sized watermelon, to make 3 cups of juice
2-8 Tablespoons grass-fed gelatin
juice of one lime
- Place cut up chunks of watermelon into a blender, and mix until smooth. You'll want to end up with 3 cups of watermelon juice.
- Place half of the juice into a small saucepan, and heat on very low. Don't overheat - you want it almost hot but never at a boil or too hot to touch.
- Meanwhile, put the other half of the juice into a bowl. Add the lime juice. Start to slowly add in the gelatin, one sprinkle at a time, mixing with an immersion blender or whisk the whole time, to avoid the gelatin clumping. For more of a jello-consistency, add 2 Tablespoons. If you want to make more of a gummy-like candy, add 8 Tablespoons gelatin.
- Once mixed, slowly add the warm watermelon into the gelatin/watermelon mix, stirring as you go.
- Pour into molds, or into a lightly greased (with coconut oil) 8x8 or 8x10 pan. Refrigerate for 2 hours before removing from molds.
Many of the links on this blog are affiliate links. I receive a small commission when certain items are purchased, but the price is the same for you. Sugarfreed/January Newland is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. I only provide links to products I use myself and wholeheartedly recommend.